Local experts have plenty of ideas to keep your home and garden looking great for spring or any time of the year.
1. Start with the proper landscape designer to review images of what is possible with your space. He or she understands what works and what doesn’t. A professional also knows what to expect as plants grow and age, and how to care for them.
2. Make sure you have proper irrigation. It takes an expert to understand what is needed and to install irrigation systems. This is not a do-it-yourself job.
3. Pick plants and flowers that will thrive where you live. In South Texas, know which plants can handle a limited water supply and withstand extended summer heat. Knowing where to purchase quality plants is also important. A knowledgeable expert can guide you to the best plants, shrubs and trees.
4. Make sure that you have the right balance of greenery and flowering plants.
A landscape designer will know when perennials die off, what other plants take over, and how to balance shrubs and trees to give your project a finished look.
5. Mulch is critical to the process and will make your beds look amazing and finished.
It also keeps plants moist and watered while preventing rapid evaporation.
6. Don’t forget indoor spaces. Plants and flowers for homes and apartments can freshen up any room and, with proper care, last for years.
Also, if you are hoping for a different or refreshed look at your property, try a new furniture layout — indoors or outdoors.
You can also organize closets, kitchen space and supplies. A quick fix can be had by painting walls a new color, hanging some paintings or getting photos up.
And, with so many people working from home and children doing virtual learning, it may be time to update a space in the home for school or work.
SOURCES: Parklane Landscaping LLC, James J. Ivy of Ivy Enterprises LLC